Solving Equations using variables

 What is a variable?  A variable in math is our unknown.  We usually represent this unknown with a letter or a symbol.  For example, in the following equation, the variable is the letter c.


c + 2 = 5

To solve for this I am going to use the inverse operation.  Inverse means opposite.  The operation I currently have is addition.  The opposite of addition is subtraction.  I want to get the letter c by itself, or isolate it.  To do that I will use subtraction in this case.  I will subtract 2 from both sides to get c by itself.

c + 2 = 5

c - 2 = 5 - 2

c = 3

I can check my answer by substituting my answer for the variable.

3 + 2 = 5

If I get the right answer, then I know the value of the variable.


Watch the following video about how to solve equations with a variable.



Click on the link below to practice solving equations with a variable.